Monday, August 4, 2008

Great Find During Bout with Insomnia

This probably goes without saying (as noted from my previous post), I don't need any help with my cynicism, especially regarding silly stuff my evangelical brothers & sisters do. Couple that with the fact that I'm a recovering pessimist.
Last night, during a bout of insomnia, I came across this funny website: Stuff Christians Like. Its a slightly irreverent commentary on the world of evangelicals.

Think of it as the local court jester who can say what needs to be said with impunity.
Note to self #1: I think that every session/ board of elders should have a court jester. As Wikipedia says, "In societies where the Freedom of Speech was not recognized as a right, the court jester - precisely because anything he said was by definition "a jest" and "the uttering of a fool" - could speak frankly on controversial issues in a way in which anyone else would have been severely punished for, and monarchs understood the usefulness of having such a person at their side."

I think a court jester could have prevented the "You spin me right round, Jesus, right round" ________ [insert descriptive noun of choice] from occurring in the first place.

Note to self #2: I have often thought my friend, Andrew Brunone, would serve well in this position. Run the idea by him for our church plants in Calgary. We could use a "Session Jester."

Note to self #3: Run it by his wife first. Get Heather to talk with her.

But I digress...where was I...oh yeah.

Like I said, this site is probably not good for me. But it makes for some great night-time-insomnia reading.

I think I'll add it to my Google reader.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Would I get to wear the colorful hat with bells on it?

Seriously, our Diaconate is somewhat fortunate I suppose in that half of us fit the jester criteria. Although every now and then I wonder if they need a little shake-up...