Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Big Boys

Filed Under: "Wha'cha Thinkin'?"
-----
Trevin Wax has an interesting series of posts on the Five Most Important Theologians in Christian History. He lists Athanasius, Augustine, Aquinas, Calvin, & Barth.

It's almost impossible to arrive at a consensus because different theologians were important for different reasons, and it depends in large part on what you consider key turning points.

I'd pretty much agree with TWax's list, though I would list Jonathan Edwards in place of Barth. Edward's "The End for which God Created the World," "Freedom of the Will," "Charity & Its Fruits", "Religious Affections," & "Original Sin" are all seminal works, not to mention many of his sermons such as "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" and the Publication of David Brainard's Life & Diary which has perhaps been more influential in igniting the Protestant missionary movement in the 19th& 20th centuries than anything else.


What do you think? Trevin Wax (and I) want to know who has been left out?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

IMHO I agree with you: Edwards was left out. I would swap him for Aquinas and take Barth off that list.

But I think Edwards would care little he didn't make it into that list! After all who can surpass the worth and glory of our Lord and Savior!

Phileo,
Francisco

Brian Franklin said...

I would put Charles Finney on the list, or in a very close honorable mention.

He's not my favorite, nor the most positively important theologian (although I think he gets way too bad of a rep from Reformed folk). Still, I think one could make a strong case for the non-Reformed revivalism and pentacostalism of the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries - worldwide - all going back to Finney.

Joshua Butcher said...

How about the Great Cappodocians?