Thursday, July 24, 2008

How to Enter Another's Grief

Filed under: "You've Gotta Check This Out"
-----
One of the things that sucks about living in a fallen world is tragedy and the acute sense of knowing that 'things are not supposed to be this way' when death comes intruding into our lives. Perhaps this is no clearer than the death of a young person. To make matters worse, we don't always no what to say. We feel powerless to change anything.


I don't remember how I came across this post surfing the internet, but I came across some fine words by Molly Piper entitled, "What I'd Like For You To Know: The Mother of a Stillborn Child." In this post she gives some excellent advice in the face of unimaginable grief. This is what she wants others to know during her time of grief over her daughter....

I'm exhausted.
I'm a scatterbrain.
I want to talk about her.
I can't grieve on command.
Please ask specific questions.
Please avoid the flippant comfort of hallmark cards.
Remember that there's no timetable.
Please persevere.

Read the whole post here.

Also, check out her post on "How to Help a Grieving Friend."

No comments: