Monday, January 26, 2009

ESPN Prestige Rankings

Here's an interesting article. ESPN has ranked the top 5 teams in NCAA football based on the following:
ESPN's Prestige Rankings are a numerical method of ranking the best FBS college football programs since the 1936 season. Point values were assigned for certain successes (win a national title, earn 25 points) and failures (get your program banned from the postseason, lose two points). The research department ran all the numbers through the computer to come up with the No. 1 program (and Nos. 2 to 119) of the past 73 seasons.
Here's their assesment:

#1: The Oklahoma Sooners
#2: Southern Cal Trojans
#3: Ohio State Buckeyes
#4: The Irish of Notre Dame
#5: Nebraska Cornhuskers

2 comments:

Joshua Butcher said...

Florida #15 and the Aggies #20. I'm a bit surprised the Aggies were so high, but apparently riding history works well in this poll.

Florida, as much as I love them, was as much a team of punks in the 90s as Florida State and Miami ever were. Meyer seems to be bringing some order into the mix, which is good to see.

I'm proud of Bob Stoopes too. I guess Addison Ayers will have some fodder to fling at me now since I've been rubbing it in a bit with the Gators's national championship.

John said...

I was suprised by the Ags as well.

Personally, I think Stoops is a brilliant coach. I'd trade him for what we have ANY day!

And watch out for Ayers. He's a scrapper!