Friday, July 31, 2009

The Power of Forgiveness

My previous post showed a picture taken at the now famous 'beer summit' where an attempt at 'healing' took place over an unfortunate event made worse by the President's words. I think what saddened me the most is that there were no apologies made, and hence no forgiveness granted. Just empty platitudes like, "We're choosing to focus on the future."

At any rate, I've been preparing a message on the Book of Philemon this week which fundamentally deals with forgiveness & reconciliation though those two words are never used.

In the midst of my preparation, I came across this amazing story of healing through forgiveness. The short of it, a woman who had been raped unwittingly accused the wrong man who spent 11 years in prison before DNA cleared him. She was overwhelmed with guilt. He forgave her. They have since become good friends.



Check out their website here.

Listen to their thoughts on the healing forgiveness brings on NPR's "This I Believe."



For those of you in Calgary, this will be a part of the sermon this Sunday at New City Church: North Ridge.

I'm glad I serve the Lord Jesus Christ, who doesn't say, "Let's just focus on the future," b/c I guarantee I'll screw up again in the future. I need a Savior who looks sinners in the eye and says, "Your sins are forgiven."

BTW, I've posted this powerful clip from ER entitled "Atonement." If you haven't seen it yet, take a few minutes to check it out.

No comments: