Friday, February 26, 2010

God's Amnesia

I've been reading through Christopher Wright's book, The GOD i Don't Understand." I have been led to worship & tears again & again. In reading his chapter, "The Cross--How?" I came across this section that was water for my thirsty soul:
We may have no control over what other people think of us, but that need not destroy the proper sense of dignity and self-respect that comes from know the affirmation of God himself...

...the same person, alone with God and the memories of the past, can quite properly feel the most acute inner shame and disgrace. It is not, however, a destructive or crushing emotion. Rather it is the core fuel for genuine repentance and humility and for the joy and peace that flow from that source alone. When I remember my sins I know that God does not. From his side they are buried in the depths of the sea, covered by the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, never again to be raised to the surface and held against me. And it is only in the awareness of that liberating truth that I can(or even ought) to remember them. For this is not the memory that generates fresh accusation and guilt--that is the work of Satan the accuser. Satan's stinging jolts of memory need to be taken straight to the cross and to our ascended High Priest, for
When Satan tempts me to despair
And tells me of the guilt within,
Upward I look and see him there
Who made an end of all my sin.
No, this is the memory that generates gratitude out of disgrace, celebration out of shame. It is the memory which marvels at the length and breadth and depth of God's rescuing love that has brought me from what I once was, or might easily have beome, to where I am now, as a child of his grace....

...That is why I said that, of all the things that lead me to speak of the God I don't understand, the cross is top of the list.
Sink your teeth into these promises...
  • Hebrews 10:17, “I will remember their sins and their lawless deeds no more.” 
  • Isaiah 43:25, "I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins."
  • Hebrews 8:12, "For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more.”
  • Psalm 103:12, "As far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us."
  • Micah 7:19, "You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea."
Do you believe that?  How I am thankful for the amnesia of an omniscient God!

No comments: