Thursday, February 12, 2009

Quote of the day...

Okay, so I'm really behind in reading blogs. My Google Reader is stuffed to the rafters, so this quote is a bit dated (written about 2 weeks ago), but Doug Wilson nailed this on its head:
...as Christians look at their options, we need to fix this in our minds: there is no political solution to any of this. Politics is no savior -- politics must get saved. And in order to be saved, politics needs to get baptized, and start attending church along with a good mid-week Bible study. I would also want to suggest some AA meetings. This means that as we look at the various ways Christians want us to engage with the culture, we must rule all the most popular ones out. We must rule out the Jim Wallis sob sister approach, top to bottom, front to back. He must have learned his idea of what prophetic means from a high school sociology class taught by an angry, overweight feminist in a mumu. We must rule out the middlin' Republicans who always want to do what the Left is doing, only slower. If we are going to be governed by Leftists, at least let it at least not be by retarded Leftists. And last, most important because most tempting to us, we must rule out the hard-line, hard right, secular conservatives. It would be a drastic mistake for us to think that secular conservatives really ought to be Christians (if they want to go to heaven), but in the meantime they can certainly do a better job governing without Jesus than the liberals. But they can't. You are not a better driver just because you always hit a different telephone pole than the other guy. No one can govern without Jesus.
Actually, the whole post is noteworthy.

4 comments:

Heather said...

"No one can govern without Jesus". I love that. Not in a theonomic sense, but in a "what motivates our heart and guides us towards wisdom" sense. Only Jesus.

Have I told you today that I love you and think you are brilliant and that I am so proud to be your wife, soul-mate and best friend...because your mine and I really really like having you next to me in this journey of life. And, you make me seem better than I am because I am with you. I have them all fooled....bwrahahahahah.

So... I'm just saying. I love you.

celiselott said...

Two comments. I love your Brian Regan reference and this quote is fabulous. It makes me sad to see so many people putting their faith in government, whether the government is Republican or Democrat. Of course sometimes I do the same thing.

celiselott said...

Two comments. I love your Brian Regan reference and this quote is fabulous. It makes me sad to see so many people putting their faith in government, whether the government is Republican or Democrat. Of course sometimes I do the same thing.

John said...

Courtney, if I had a prize you would get it. I almost bracketed my statement by saying "the first person who tells me where this is from gets a prize", but alas I had no prize to give. Maybe some free "8's"!!!

On a side note, I think I remember Wilson saying some years back that the basic difference between the two parties is that the Dems are driving the car off the cliff at 95mph while the Repubs are driving it off at 75mph.